Have you noticed if your child is highly sensitive?
Highly sensitive children need a little extra hug and support because the various things can overwhelm them.
It would be good to figure out if your child seems to express signs that they are highly-sensitive. As a mum, you will notice these subtle signals.
The tips below might be of help not just for sensitive kids but for all kids . As a parent, it is always your call to do what is right for your child.
Just some simple tips for you that might make your life a tad bit easier:
1. 𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐞𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬. Rushing and doing a lot of things in a short amount of time can be extremely overwhelming for them. Instead, start teaching them to manage time that suits their pace.
2. 𝐀𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐲. Kids are extra sensitive to pain and wired for self protection. What can seem as overreacting to adults can actually be very painful or uncomfortable for them. Giving them assurance that you are there for them is all they need to hear from you.
3. 𝐆𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲: Chill and calm time is essential for all ages
4. 𝐒𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐦. A tantrum is a natural expression of anger, which includes the process of grief and letting go. The easier their emotions flow, the healthier they will be psychologically. In the end, just let them know that you love them no matter what and be open for further discussion later.
5. 𝐋𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐬. Most often, I see in my clients how they have sensory overload. So I ask them for their preference: how much light would they like, do they prefer soft or loud music, what would they find soothing, etc. I respect their threshold and work on reducing overload in their sensory processing.
Did these tips give you new insight?
If you’re a mum with a highly sensitive child, what have you found helpful for him/her?
Feeling overwhelmed yourself? Message me and we can chat about how to support you and your beautiful child/children.
Love and gratitude,